- Information about the author:
Associate Researcher at the Centre “Dostoevsky and World Culture”, Gorky Institute of World Literature RAS; teacher at St. Tikhon Orthodox University for Humanities (Moscow).
- For citation:
Corbella C., Divo Barsotti: Man, God, and Christ in Dostoevsky’s Works. Dostoevsky and World Culture. Philological Journal, 2020, No. 3(11). Pp. 140-157.
2020 no. 3 (11)
DOSTOEVSKY IN THE 20TH AND 21ST CENTURIES
Dostoevsky’s theology; Divo Barsotti; Catholic theology, Dostoevsky, moral law; theology and literature.
The article discusses the book by fr. Divo Barsotti “Dostoevsky. The Passion for Christ”. It carries a research project on the interpretation of F.M. Dostoevsky’s works by Catholic religious thinkers and theologians started in 2019. On the one hand, these analyses allow us to discover new ways of interaction between literature and theology, while highlighting Dostoevsky’s, although indirect, contribution to the change of the Catholic world after the second Vatican Council. The article presents the book, its structure, and main contents, and attempts to identify the peculiarities of Barsotti’s reception of Dostoevsky’s texts. Attention is focused on the concept of moral law as an evidence of the existence of God, and on the interpretation of Dostoevsky’s “profession of faith” and, consequently, on who Christ is for Barsotti and Dostoevsky
1. Barsotti D. Dostoevskii. Khristos – strast’ zhizni. [Dostoevsky. Christ as the Love of Life]. Moscow, Paoline Publ., 1999. 247 p. (In Russ.)
2. Dostoevskii F.M. Poln. sobr. soch.: v 30 t. [Complete Works: in 30 Vols]. Leningrad, Nauka Publ., 1972-1990. (In Russ.)
3. Corbella C. Romano Guardini: prisutstvie Khrista v tekstakh Dostoevskogo [Romano Guardini: the Presence of Christ in Dostoevsky’s texts]. Dostoevskii i mirovaia kul’tura. Filologicheskii zhurnal [Dostoevsky and World Culture. Philological Journal], 2019, No. 2(6), pp. 146-158. (In Russ.)
4. Corbella C. Romano Guardini, chitatel’ Dante i Dostoevskogo [Romano Guardini, reader of Dante and Dostoevsky]. Dostoevskii i mirovaia kul’tura. Filologicheskii zhurnal [Dostoevsky and World Culture. Philological Journal], 2019, No. 3(7), pp. 210-226. (In Russ.)
5. Barsotti D. Dostoevskij. La passione per Cristo. Edizioni San Paolo s.r.l. 2018. 263 p. (In Italian) 6. Barsotti D. Cristianesimo Russo. Cinisello Balsamo (MI) 2017. 275 p. (In Italian)