Director IWL RAS
D.Sc. in Philology
Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Chairman of IWL RAS Academic Council
Member of the Dissertation Councils at IWL RAS and RSUH
Education: Graduated with honors from Lomonosov Moscow State University, Faculty of Philology in 1994. Qualification: Philologist; Teacher of Russian language and literature; Teacher of French at secondary, secondary vocational, and higher education institutions.
Ph.D. Thesis: The Biographical Genre in the Works of Dmitry S. Merezhkovsky in the 1920s-1930s (1998)
Dr.Hab. Thesis: Mythopoetic Aspects of Genre Evolution in Russian Literature at the End of the 19th - Beginning of the 20th Centuries
Research interests: Russian Literature of the Late 19th – Early 20th Century, Comparative Studies, Theory of Literature, Literature and Philosophy, Poetics of Genres, Literary Neomythology.
Editor-in-Chief of the journal Izvestia RAN (series "Literary and Language").
Chief Editor, Complete Works of A.M. Gorky (Letters).
Member of the Editorial Board, Complete Works of Alexander Blok.
Member of the Editorial Board, Complete Works of Leonid Andreev.
Head of the Academic Council at IWL RAS.
Member of the Dissertation Councils of IWL RAS and Russian State University for the Humanities.
Member of the Expert Council of the Higher Accreditation Committee (VAK) of the Russian Federation for Philology and Arts (until January 2016; left the Council because of the appointment as Director of IWL RAS).
Member of the Expert Group in Literature and Arts at the Scientific Council of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation.
Accredited Expert of the Federal Register of Academic and Technical Expert Reviewers at RAS.
Reviewer for the Russian Scientific Fund.
Co-Chair of the Expert Committee in Literature at the Russian Council of the "Olympiads" for high schools.
Distinctions and Awards
Honorary Professor of the South-Western University of China.
Grant holder of the Russian President Foundation for the support of young scholars (2011–2012).
Winner of the contest of the Foundation for the Promotion of National Science in the nomination PhDs and Doctors Hab. of RAS (2006).
- Mezhdu traditsiei i moderniznom. Russkaia literatura rubezha XIX-XX vekov [Between Tradition and Modernism. Russian Literature at the Turn of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries: History, Poetics, and Context]. Мoscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2011. 472 p. In Russ.
- Mifopoetika i dinamika zhanra v russkoi literature kontsa XIX-nachala XX veka [Mythopoetics and Dynamics of the Genre Development in Russian Literature at the Turn of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries]. Мoscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2008. 285 p. In Russ.
- Perelom 1917 goda: revoliutsionnyi kontekst russkoi literatury [The 1917 Rupture: The Revolutionary Context of Russian Literature]. Мoscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2017. 864 p. In Russ.
- Russkaia revoliutsiia 1917 goda v literaturnykh istochnikakh i dokumentakh [The October Revolution in Literary Texts and Documents]. Мoscow: IWL RAS Publ., 2017. 440 p. In Russ.
- Literaturnaya zhizn'. Stat'i. Publikatskii. Memuary. Pamiati A.Iu. Galushkina [Literary Life. Essays. Publications. Memoir. In Memory of Alexander Yu. Galushkin]. “Literary Legacy” Series. Issue 1. Co-edited with Mikhail P. Odessky, Monica L. Spivak. Мoscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2017. 400 p. In Russ.
- Russkaia literatura v zerkalakh mirovoi kultury: retseptsiia, perevody, interpretatsii [Russian Literature in the Mirrors of the World Culture: Reception, Translations, Interpretation]. Co-edited with Alexander Kudelin and Marya Nadyarnikh. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2015. 974 p. In Russ.
- Politika i poetika: russkaia literatura v istoriko-kul'turnom kontekste Pervoi mirovoi voiny. Publikatsii, issledovaniia i materialy. [Politics and Poetics: Russian Literature in the Historical and Cultural Context of World World I]. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2014. 880 p. In Russ.
- Russkaia publitsistika i periodika epokhi Pervoi mirovoi voiny: politika i poetika. Issledovaniia i materialy [Russian Journalism and Periodical Literature in the Time of the WWI: Politics and Poetics]. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2014. 600 p. In Russ.
- Poetika russkoi literatury kontsa XIX-nachala XX veka. Dinamika zhanra: obshchie problemy. Proza [Poetics of Russian Literature at the Turn of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries. Dynamics of the Genre. General Issues. Fiction]. Co-edited with V.A. Keldysh. Moscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2009. 832 p. In Russ.
- Russkaia literatura kontsa XIX-nachala XX veka v zerkale sovremennoi nauki [Russian Literature at the Turn of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries in the Mirror of Contemporary Research]. In the Honor of V.A. Keldysh. Co-edited with Oleg А. Lekmanov. Мoscow, IWL RAS Publ., 2008. 415 p. In Russ.
Scopus, Web of Science
- 瓦基姆·波隆斯基;刘文飞 作为“阐释病”的经院派文艺学—兼论学科界线的悖论性 "Scholastic Literary Studies as a 'Disease of Interpretation', and Ambiguous Boundaries of the Discussions about Science". 文艺研究, Literature & Art Studies, Beijing, no. 8, 2016, pp. 26-30. http://www.cqvip.com/QK/80444X/201608/669704204.html Сo-authored with Lu Venfey. In Chinese.
- "The Academic History of Literature and Art as a ‘Disease of Interpretation’: on the Paradoxical Nature of Interdisciplinary Boundaries". Social Sciences in China, vol. 37, no. 3, 2016, pp. 168–174. In English.
- "Boris Eikhenbaum i Pol' Klodel': k voprosu o retseptsii simbolistskoi misterii v Rossii" ["Boris Eichenbaum and Paul Claudel: On the Reception of Symbolist Mystery in Russia"]. Russkaya Literatura, vol. 3, 2015, pp. 227–234. In Russ.
- "On the Principles of Structuring the History of Russian Literature of the Late Nineteenth and First Half of the Twentieth Centuries". Social Sciences, vol. 41, no. 1, 2010, pp. 62–71. In English.
- "Between Metaphysics, History, and Politics: Religious Mythology in the Late Literary Works of Dmitry Merezhkovsky". Social Sciences, vol. 37, no. 3, 2006, pp. 33–44. In English.
- "Vzgliad na stolietie sto let spustia, ili Gogol' v 1909 godu: vekovoi iubilei pisatelia po materialam russkikh gazet" ["Looking at the Centenary a Century Later, or Gogol in 1909: The Writer's Centenary according to the Russian Newspapers"]. Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie, no. 3 (103), 2010, pp. 152-163. In Russ.
- "Ironiia Chekova: mezhdu klassikoi i 'serebrianym vekom'" ["Chekov's Irony between Classics and the Silver Age"]. Novyi filologicheskii vestnik, no. 3 (10), 2009, pp. 69-75. In Russ.
Vladimir Polonsky taught at Lomonosov Moscow State University, St. Tikhon Orthodox University for Humanities; from 2004 to 2016 worked as a Professor at the Department of Russian Classical Literature of the Russian State University for the Humanities. Held lectures in the UK, France, Italy, Spain, and China.